Thursday, May 5, 2011

BBQ Chicken Salad

Guest Recipe Person: Wife

Wife made this one for me and it has become a nice we-need-a-quick-dinner meal. It is also part of something I like to call "Two Meals, Same Ingredients." Hey, I never claimed to be creative with names. This is a way to have the convenience of leftovers without actually having leftovers. So don't worry, you're not eating the exact same thing tomorrow. Some of you out there are against leftovers just for the sake of being against them. I don't understand you. I love leftovers. Anyway...


What You'll Need:

Chicken Breasts or Tenderloins
Lettuce (whatever kind you like)
Black Beans
Corn
Tomato
Green Onion
Cilantro
Shredded Cheese
BBQ Sauce
Sour Cream


What You'll Do:

1. Boil the chicken. Once it has fully cooked, shred it with a couple of forks or chop it up really small. Put it in a bowl with some BBQ sauce and stir until the chicken is coated in sauce. Make enough chicken to have some leftover for tomorrow.

2. Chop your tomato, green onion, and cilantro. Chop enough to have some leftover for tomorrow.

3. Wash and tear your lettuce. If you need me to tell to wash it, I'm never coming over to your place for dinner. No offense.

4. In a large bowl, assemble your salad (you'll mix it later). In goes the lettuce, chicken, some corn, some black beans, tomato, green onion, cilantro, and shredded cheese.

5. Make the dressing. Don't worry, it's easy. Remember how Wife and I eat lots of sour cream? You don't? Well, we do. This dressing is BBQ sauce mixed with sour cream. Thin it out with some water until it is your desired salad dressing consistency. Put some dressing on the salad. Mix thoroughly. Put it on a plate.

6. We recommend serving with some Bisquick drop biscuits, you know, the kind you just mix and drop on the baking sheet so they come out all funny shapes. They have some nice packs at the store these days with cheesy garlic biscuits and other cool flavors.

7. Put the extra chicken and veggies in the fridge for tomorrow's meal. It will taste similar, but will be a totally different experience.

Thank you, Wife for making me such great dinners. I love you. And not just because you make me such great dinners. But it helps. I'm not gonna lie.











2 comments:

Traci Marie Wolf said...

Yum! I'm a huge fan of boiling chicken. I usually do it with the pan filled up about a quarter of the way and then when the chicken's cooked I'll let it fry a little. Why do you need oil, chicken has it's own oil. I love the BBQ sauce with sour cream, I'll have to try that.

Lori said...

I assume that french fries are beneath this blog...BUT...I discovered in college that sour cream and BBQ sauce (more sour cream than BBQ) makes a fabulous dipping sauce for fries.