Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Chicken Ring

My mom made this when I was a kid, and I absolutely love it. I don't know where she found the recipe. I do not claim it as my own. I have, however, put my own spin on it, which will be explained later.

What You'll Need:
(2) cans crescent rolls (whatever brand you want)
(1) can cream of chicken soup
(1) can cooked shredded chicken or 1-2 poached chicken breasts, shredded (we cooked our own last time
      because canned chicken is like 19 dollars a can now)
Chopped veggies of your choice (some good options are broccoli, celery, carrots, onion, bell pepper)
Shredded cheese
*Notice the complete disregard for precise amounts. Trust yourself. You want a lot of cheese, go for it. Load up the veggies? Be my guest.*

What You'll Do:
1. To prepare filling, put all ingredients except crescent rolls into a large bowl. Stir to combine. As always, if you add some fresh cracked pepper, it will be better.
2. Now you arrange the rolls. Check the photo. The goal is to make a big ring, hence the name "Chicken Ring." Get it? You do? I always knew you were smart. The longer ends of the triangular rolls should point outward. Each roll should overlap with it's next door neighbors. This will give the filling a place to sit.
3. Once the ring is formed, spoon the filling mixture around the entire ring, close to the center, leaving the long triangles alone.
4. Once all the filling is in place, take each long triangle and bring it over the top of the filling. It should stay on its own, but if it needs a little help, just sort of smoosh it or pinch it in with the rest of the rolls in the center of the ring.
5. Bake, at 350, for however long it takes for the rolls to be golden brown. I can't remember, but I think it's about 20 minutes. The veggies will have a little crunch to them, especially the carrots. But this is a good thing, because soggy veggies are dumb. Enjoy.

*Variation: I have branched this out into a Mexican version. Instead of cream of chicken soup, use one of those southwest creamy soups. I think Campbell's makes a few different ones. Pepperjack is a nice cheese to use. You could season your chicken with taco seasoning. As far as veggies are concerned, go with onion, bell pepper (red), and green onion. You can top the finished ring with sour cream and, of course, avocado.*

















3 comments:

Ginny said...

This recipe came to me from a Pampered Chef party. Originally made to be used with a baking stone. Yum-Yum. I haven't made it in forever.

Holly said...

If it wasn't too late already to eat real food I would hike up & down my million stairs to go get crescent rolls to make this right now!! Looks good :)

Traci Marie Wolf said...

Wow! You're like the cooking guy. I love that you have a disclaimer and a kitchen philosophy. And of course foods that I love is great too. I can't wait to see all that you come up with. BTW I love making stuff out of those crescent rolls. That chicken ring looks amazing.